Financial Aid Policy and Procedures for Awarding UNC Asheville Athletic Grant in Aid
The Associate Athletic Director for Compliance, The Director of Financial Aid and the designated liaison in the Office of Financial Aid (Financial Aid Counselor for Athletics) share responsibility for monitoring compliance with NCAA financial aid regulations. (BYLAW, ARTICLE 15 – FINANCIAL AID)
No financial aid for any Athlete shall be awarded or adjusted without approval of the Athletic Department and Office of Financial Aid. Approval of athletic aid will be contingent upon receiving appropriate notifications by the Department of Athletics.
Financial Aid Procedure for Athletes
Athletes are strongly encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority filing date of March 1, of each year. This will ensure the student will receive the best financial aid package should the student athlete not be awarded a full athletic grant-in-aid.
Student athletes may apply for federal financial aid to fill the gap between their athletics grant-in-aid award and the estimated Cost of Attendance (COA) budget set by the Office of Financial Aid. Note that an athletics grant-in-aid does not include the component of transportation and miscellaneous expenses.
If the student is offered an athletic grant-in-aid the initial financial aid award notification may or may not include the athletic grant-in-aid. After July 1 of each year all athletic aid will be posted to the student financial aid award and adjustments may be necessary at that time to remain in NCAA compliance. (BYLAW 15.1.4) Students will receive an adjustment e-mail notifying them the adjustment as well to the Associate Athletic Director of Compliance.
In general, student athletes that are receiving financial aid will fall into one of the three categories:
Full Athletic Grant-In-Aid: covers full tuition, fees, room, board and course related books. (BYLAW 15.02.5)
Partial Athletic Grant-In-Aid: combination of athletic grant-in-aid, federal, state, any other outside aid.
Need-base, Non-Athletic Institutional Aid: federal, state, institutional and any outside aid
Exception for Federal Pell Grant – A student who receives a Federal Pell Grant may also receive a full athletic grant-in-aid. Should this take the student over the Cost of Attendance (COA) the student will not be eligible for any additional aid that has a need component. (BYLAW 15.1.1)
Financial Aid Calendar for Awarding UNC Asheville Athletic Aid
- Email sent to all students reminding them it is time to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the following academic year
- If student athlete is receiving athletic grant-in aid for spring no refund will be awarded until verification from the athletics department
- Student athlete can purchase books at university book store. If books are purchased on line the Office of Financial Aid must be given the receipt after approval from the Athletic Department so that amount can be added to the athletic grant-in-aid.
- Refunds and book charges may still be processed for spring.
- Office of Financial Aid will run report for Athletic Department to determine how many of the athletes have completed the FAFSA.
- March 1- The priority filling date for the FAFSA
- Financial aid awards will be made to all new students who have completed the FAFSA process and have been admitted to the university.
- April 1 - Athletic Department notifies the Office of Financial Aid of athletes that will be receiving endowment scholarships.
- All athletes should have completed the FAFSA.
- Office of Financial Aid receives all athletic non-renewals and reductions for the following year.
- Financial aid awards will be made to all continuing students who have completed FAFSA process as soon as grades are posted.
- By May 1, Athletic Department will notify the Office of Financial Aid of all summer school athletic grant-in aid.
- Financial aid awarding will continue for all students.
- Summer athletic grant-in aid will be disbursed.
- July 1 - Athletic Department will send all athletic awards that are to be applied to the student athletes’ financial aid awards. Adjustments will be made at that time.
- Final adjustments made before fall aid disbursements
- Athletic grant-in-aid and all other aid will be disbursed into the student account for the fall term
- If student athlete is receiving athletic grant-in-aid no refund will be awarded until verification from the athletics department
- Student athlete can purchase books at university book store. If books are purchased online the Office of Financial Aid must be given the receipt after approval from the Athletic Department so that amount can be added to the athletic grant-in-aid.
- Refunds and book charges may still be processed for fall.
- Athletic Department begins the determination of aid for new student athlete according to the NCAA rules for the next academic year.
- Nov.–Aug. the Athletic Department delivers to Director of Financial Aid National Letter of Intent’s for approval for the next academic year.
- Dec. 1 - Athletic Department will provide the Office of Financial Aid notification of all athletic grant-in-aid that is to be awarded for spring admits.
- Make final adjustments to spring athletic awards if necessary before the disbursement.
Athletic Grant-In-Aid Applied to Student Financial Aid Award
The Office of Financial Aid will apply all athletic grant-in-aid to the student’s financial aid award July 1, for the fall term and December 1, for the spring term of each year. This will allow time for adjustments to be made before the bills are sent out.
The Athletic Department will have all information concerning the renewal letters to the Office of Financial Aid no later than May 1, of each year in order to have them ready to go out by the July 1 deadline. (BYLAW 22.214.171.124)
Non-Renewal or Reduction Letters
The Athletic Department will notify the Office of Financial Aid of all non-renewal and reduction in athletic awards no later than May 1, of each year. (BYLAW 126.96.36.199.)
The Office of Financial Aid will notify the student-athlete in writing of the opportunity for and appeal of aid that has been reduced or canceled during the period of the year, of is reduced or not renewed for the following academic year. Policies and procedures of the appeal process will be included with the written notification, including the deadline by which a student-athlete may request a hearing or letter of appeal (BYLAW 188.8.131.52
Athletic Endowed Scholarships
The Athletic Department will notify the Office of Financial Aid no later than April 1, of each academic year the recipients of the UNC Asheville endowed scholarships selected by the Athletic Department.
Written Statement Requirement
Athletic Grant-In-Aid recipients will receive a written statement of the amount, duration, conditions and terms of the athletic award. This award will be signed (hand-written) by the Director of Financial Aid and the Athletic Director.
Summer School Awards
It is necessary to make an additional award for summer term (BYLAW 184.108.40.206.1) and the amount of a summer award must be the same percentage as the initial athletic award.